Inexpensive CO2 laser beam windows and mirror #3 #lasers

Trevor Kemp

Anybody know of an inexpensive supplier of the beam window and mirror #3 optics components, specifically for Universal laser cutters?  I was shocked when I originally saw the price of focus lenses directly from Universal or through official resellers (about $230), and then I found cheap knock-off lenses online for about $25.  The only extra work is gluing them into the aluminum holders, but otherwise they seem to work great.  Similarly I have found cheaper off-brand alternatives for mirror #2.  However I can't seem to find the beam window (optical part on back left corner of the machine) or mirror #3 (the non-circular one above the focus lens) for lower prices anywhere, and I'm stumped why these seem so difficult to track down at lower prices (I did some poking around on eBay and AliExpress).  Thanks for any suggestions!

Josh Jordan

Hi Trevor,

I might be wrong but I seem to remember someone, perhaps a wise retiree from UMN, who said that he would glue the cheap #2 replacement (that you have evidently found) into the #3 mirror assembly with gel-type CA glue.  It's a circular mirror in an oval assembly, but apparently it's the same diameter as the narrow width of the oval and sits OK in it.

Beam window I haven't had to replace.  Remove and clean, yes.

We haven't had to replace a #3 since I heard that tip but I will try this the next time we need to replace one.

Josh

--
Josh Jordan
Director, Making Studio

Ryan McKibbin

Where are you all getting these cheep universal mirrors from? Are they sufficient quality?

Interested.

Ryan

On Thu, Nov 4, 2021, 6:36 PM Josh Jordan <jcj2134@...> wrote:
[...]

Ha! Wise retiree, lol.

I did try glueing in a smaller round mirror and it worked ok, but I didn't like how things fit,  so I did eventually replace it with a truncated 25mm mirror like the OEM.

That was in 2018 and I got it from this ebay seller https://www.ebay.com/usr/image-laboratory
I noticed no difference in performance from the OEM mirror. As far as I know that mirror is still in use.

They currently don't have any of these listed, but maybe it's worth contacting them to see if they have them. I don't know if they have any presence off of ebay.

image.png

Otherwise, maybe you could get a round 25mm mirror and waterjet the sides off? I have no idea if that would damage the coating on the mirror, but for $5ea there's not much to lose by trying if you have access to a waterjet.

I miss you all sometimes, you ought to use this incredible community of practice more.

Be well my friends!
-kevin

Kevin from PersonMakeObject

On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 5:36 PM Josh Jordan <jcj2134@...> wrote:
[...]

Tom Silman

CAUTION:  This email originated outside of Marquette University.  Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

[...]

William S. Rollins

Hi all, just wanted to share this jig I made for helping to mount lenses and mirrors. I got the hold down clamps on amazon. The hole on the far end is for supporting the frame while pushing out the lens. This is for typical Universal lasers. Hope this is helpful._will

William S. Rollins

another view

Rodney Rojas

This is ingenious, Will. Thanks for sharing.

Would you happen have the link to the specific toggle clamps used?

Rodney

Rodney Rojas
Fabrication Shop Manager
SCI-Arc