Local or Online Supplier For Laser Cutter Materials? #lasers

Paul Stockoff

With the world in its current state the lab is moving more towards a service model for laser cutting, so we can keep the capacity up on the machines without having students crammed in next to each other. Student lab staff will be running machines. Because of that we are looking at sourcing material, so there isn't a trading back and forth of material with students.

What I am interested in hearing about is the labs that stock materials if they order all the material online or work with local companies.

I am most interested in basswood, acrylic, and chipboard. I would say we are interested in ordering in a good chunk of material once or twice a semester. I have a feeling plastic will have to come locally.

Thanks!

Ted Wong

We get Basswood from Bud Nosen Models in Two Harbors, MN.  I can’t heap enough praise on them.  ‭(800) 544-6819‬
Acetate sheets we get from Graphix.
Taskboard is from Taskboard.
Everything else we get locally.

Ted

On Jul 17, 2020, at 3:03 PM, Paul Stockoff <paul.stockhoff@...> wrote:

With the world in its current state the lab is moving more towards a service model for laser cutting, so we can keep the capacity up on the machines without having students crammed in next to each other. Student lab staff will be running machines. Because of that we are looking at sourcing material, so there isn't a trading back and forth of material with students.

What I am interested in hearing about is the labs that stock materials if they order all the material online or work with local companies.

I am most interested in basswood, acrylic, and chipboard. I would say we are interested in ordering in a good chunk of material once or twice a semester. I have a feeling plastic will have to come locally.

Thanks!

UMN gets Basswood from Bud Nosen, chipboard from Blick Art Materials, dowels from CraftParts.com, acrylic rod and tube from McMaster Carr, acrylic, pet, styrene, metal, corrugated & wood products locally and a lot of sundry supplies from Amazon. Can share more info if you're interested.

Kevin Groenke
UMN Design Fabrication (alum)

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020, 2:03 PM Paul Stockoff <paul.stockhoff@...> wrote:
With the world in its current state the lab is moving more towards a service model for laser cutting, so we can keep the capacity up on the machines without having students crammed in next to each other. Student lab staff will be running machines. Because of that we are looking at sourcing material, so there isn't a trading back and forth of material with students.

What I am interested in hearing about is the labs that stock materials if they order all the material online or work with local companies.

I am most interested in basswood, acrylic, and chipboard. I would say we are interested in ordering in a good chunk of material once or twice a semester. I have a feeling plastic will have to come locally.

Thanks!

Joe Kuechel

We started using Maker Stock for some of our materials.  The CEO is Amy Bennett and she is very easy to work with.  Maker Stock seems to have good educational pricing and are really responsive with timely turnarounds.  Amy’s contact info is AmyBennett@...  I’ll mention to her that some schools that belong to SSMC may be contacting her and maybe she can put some more attractive pricing together for SSMC members.

Best regards,

Joe Kuechel

Operations Director

Segal Design Institute @ Northwestern University

FORD Engineering and Design Center

2133 Sheridan Road

Evanston, IL 60208

847-467-6375 (voice)

Joseph.kuechel@...

[...]

Thank you for the information everyone! That is all super helpful. I will be taking a deeper look into all of those groups and report back which way we ended up going.

Paul

jacob tompkins

I always recommend Johnson Plastics.  They bought Laser Bits and seem to have a good variety of materials for cutting and engraving.

-Jake Tompkins
Digital Fabrication Lab
School of Architecture
Georgia Tech

--
If you can't get a handle on this there are plenty of other respectable positions. Take dress design: You get wall to wall carpeting and get to be surrounded by beautiful models ALL DAY LONG!!! Why are we doing this?! just to wear a hard hat and get on the night shift?!!!! (sigh) Oh well we're committed now.
-- Dr. Skelland (ChemE)