Anything Comparable to ULS Focus View? #equipment #lasers

Julie Chen

Hello All,

With all this talk about lasers, I was wondering, has anyone come across anything like the Focus View in Universal Lasers, in other manufacturer's models? We find this feature indispensable and is one of the main reasons why we stick with ULS.

Focus View is basically the ability to click anywhere on the preview window on the computer screen and the lens carriage will throw a red dot onto the build platform to show you where it correlates to. It is really useful when cutting into irregular shaped scrap materials. It helps students be more resourceful, and reduces waste.

Any users of other laser cutters that have something like that? The last time I was shopping for one, competitors had path previews that ran through the paths with the red dot, but nothing that lets you pick anywhere on screen.

-Julie

Julie Chen
Architecture Faculty
Woodshop and Digital Fabrication Lab Manager
University of Hartford's College of Engineering, Technology, and Architecture
200 Bloomfield Ave, West Hartford, CT 06117

Image result for hartford ceta logo

Raymond Krajci

Epilogs can also throw a red dot to indicate placement. Their newest machines have a very cool live video feed of the bed with a transparent overlay of the design. I was impressed at how efficiently the new interface allowed me to place designs on scraps or irregular pieces.