IP Camera Vendors/Recommendations #equipment #safety #management #staff


Jack Hunter
 

Thanks to a great discussion at the conference in New Haven, we're considering IP cameras as an after-hours oversight measure.

Don't want to use the campus security system.

Does anyone have vendor recommendations for installation/camera monitoring, etc? Experience in higher education is preferred--I'm sure there will be lots of hoop-jumping.

Thanks,

Jack


Jon Buckley
 

I would check with University Council first before you get too deep into it.  Not so much about jumping through hoops more so the legality of its use.  Campus systems are monitored by certified and trained Police.  It seems from a far this might be a great thing to do to help us sleep at night but it really crosses into a legal area that has its own implications.

Just my thoughts as a newbie to this group that wasn't at the conference to hear previous discussions.

Jon Buckley


Brandon Iglesias
 

On several prototyping center projects and shared labs, we opted to go with facility cameras directly linked to security system and security personnel for legal reasons as well as bandwidth reasons. We then put safetyspot equipment energizers on the equipment to address the after hours concerns of higher risk equipment use in shared spaces. If there was an incident that needed to be reviewed (example: someone leaving a chemical out or an ultra low freezer door ajar, we submit work order to security and then review the footage (note, this doesn't draw down on our team's bandwidth). 

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 9:25 AM Jon Buckley <Jon.Buckley@...> wrote:

I would check with University Council first before you get too deep into it.  Not so much about jumping through hoops more so the legality of its use.  Campus systems are monitored by certified and trained Police.  It seems from a far this might be a great thing to do to help us sleep at night but it really crosses into a legal area that has its own implications.

Just my thoughts as a newbie to this group that wasn't at the conference to hear previous discussions.

Jon Buckley



--

Respectfully,

Brandon Iglesias


Make it Smart, Keep it Safe.

Safety Spot Inc.
525 S. Hewitt Street
Los Angeles, CA 90013 USA

+01 (213) 279-2772 office
+01 (504) 495-5998 cell
+01 (213) 599-8484 fax

brandon.iglesias@...
www.safetyspot.com

This e-mail contains confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.


Peter Zimmermann
 

Jack Hunter wrote:
Thanks to a great discussion at the conference in New Haven, we're considering IP cameras as an after-hours oversight measure.

Don't want to use the campus security system.

Does anyone have vendor recommendations for installation/camera monitoring, etc? Experience in higher education is preferred--I'm sure there will be lots of hoop-jumping.

Thanks,

Jack


I know some do, but our University does not allow video taping of students.
Peter

--
Peter Zimmermann
Student Machine Shop ME 176
University of Minnesota
Department of Mechanical Engineering
111 Church Street SE, Mpls, MN 55455
612.625.7855 Direct
zimme049@...
http://www.me.umn.edu/intranet/studentshop.shtml


Josh Jordan
 

This is probably an institution-specific question... but does anyone know if the issues surrounding camera monitoring of shop spaces pertains specifically to *recording* or if it is ANY monitoring, even live?

I've heard of other institutions who broadcast live cameras on the lasers so students in studio can see when they are open for use...   at Columbia have small webcams on our 3D printers so we can see and remotely stop failures from afar (which may incidentally "catch" students walking through the background)...  or for those who have shops that are spread across several smaller spaces, I've heard of IP cameras in separate or locked spaces that one can access remotely to see what's going on.  None of these require or involve recording or storage of recorded data.

Has anyone experienced any institutional gray area or is it generally a "don't point cameras at students" issue?


On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 10:37 AM Peter Zimmermann <zimme049@...> wrote:
Jack Hunter wrote:
> Thanks to a great discussion at the conference in New Haven, we're considering IP cameras as an after-hours oversight measure.
>
> Don't want to use the campus security system.
>
> Does anyone have vendor recommendations for installation/camera monitoring, etc? Experience in higher education is preferred--I'm sure there will be lots of hoop-jumping.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jack
>
>
>
>
I know some do, but our University does not allow video taping of students.
Peter

--
Peter Zimmermann
Student Machine Shop  ME 176
University of Minnesota
Department of Mechanical Engineering
111 Church Street SE, Mpls, MN 55455
612.625.7855 Direct
zimme049@...
http://www.me.umn.edu/intranet/studentshop.shtml






--


Josh Jordan
Making Studio
Director
646-618-0802
                                 

--
Josh Jordan
Director, Making Studio
Columbia GSAPP


Brandon Iglesias
 

camera's are pointed at many people on campus with filming, I think it is a security dept moat/scope of their job at times. In other words, other departments adding security cameras encroaches on their turf as well as legal reasons on top of that.   in industry there is a big debate now on wifi ip cameras reporting to IT directors vs. Security directors, fyi.


On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 9:45 AM Josh Jordan <jcj2134@...> wrote:
This is probably an institution-specific question... but does anyone know if the issues surrounding camera monitoring of shop spaces pertains specifically to *recording* or if it is ANY monitoring, even live?

I've heard of other institutions who broadcast live cameras on the lasers so students in studio can see when they are open for use...   at Columbia have small webcams on our 3D printers so we can see and remotely stop failures from afar (which may incidentally "catch" students walking through the background)...  or for those who have shops that are spread across several smaller spaces, I've heard of IP cameras in separate or locked spaces that one can access remotely to see what's going on.  None of these require or involve recording or storage of recorded data.

Has anyone experienced any institutional gray area or is it generally a "don't point cameras at students" issue?

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 10:37 AM Peter Zimmermann <zimme049@...> wrote:
Jack Hunter wrote:
> Thanks to a great discussion at the conference in New Haven, we're considering IP cameras as an after-hours oversight measure.
>
> Don't want to use the campus security system.
>
> Does anyone have vendor recommendations for installation/camera monitoring, etc? Experience in higher education is preferred--I'm sure there will be lots of hoop-jumping.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jack
>
>
>
>
I know some do, but our University does not allow video taping of students.
Peter

--
Peter Zimmermann
Student Machine Shop  ME 176
University of Minnesota
Department of Mechanical Engineering
111 Church Street SE, Mpls, MN 55455
612.625.7855 Direct
zimme049@...
http://www.me.umn.edu/intranet/studentshop.shtml






--


Josh Jordan
Making Studio
Director
646-618-0802
                                 

--
Josh Jordan
Director, Making Studio
Columbia GSAPP



--

Respectfully,

Brandon Iglesias


Make it Smart, Keep it Safe.

Safety Spot Inc.
525 S. Hewitt Street
Los Angeles, CA 90013 USA

+01 (213) 279-2772 office
+01 (504) 495-5998 cell
+01 (213) 599-8484 fax

brandon.iglesias@...
www.safetyspot.com

This e-mail contains confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.


Eric Pulse
 

We use the Axis Brand of web cameras. They record pictures rather than video and it keeps for a week. I personally don't have access to the recordings, but our department IT people do. Here is the brand website

We have web cameras in all of our department labs and both Machine Shops. The Labs were basically to allow students to see if there was a class going on or not. The Shop cameras are for students to see if we are open and also for records and student accountability. People tend to behave better if they think they are being recorded, go figure.

Now a word of warning (ie horror story), which I have mentioned in the past at the SSMC. Our cameras used to be fully public accessible. When i was a student in the early 2000's we could actually manipulate the Hangar Shop camera on a gimble from the webpage. Unfortunately, when we put 6 cameras in both shops, they were found by the lurkers on the interwebs.  At one point I had some Russian guy email me ans ask to move the office camera away form my desk and towards the rest of the room. This was quite confusing until the next day I was contacted by a young woman in Russia who apologized for the intrusion and told me that there was a whole VK.com (Russian Facebook) page dedicated to screen shots of our cameras, complete with made up stories about all of our commonly appearing people. They even photoshopped my head on a picture of Jesus. That was funny, but a lot of the comments made about my employees were not. 

Needless to say, I asked her to take the page down and she did. Then nothing happened for about a year and then we started getting calls asking to talk to "the blonde in the red sweater" etc. Yeah, I really wasn't comfortable with that (neither was Corinne, who happened to be in the red sweater at that time). So we made the cameras only accessible from ON-CAMPUS SERVERS. Students can view them while logged in to our campus Wifi but not off campus. This created a slight hindrance for me to be able to see them at home, but I can VPN in and see them. I am told that Axis also has an app that i can use but I haven't explored that yet. 

Anyway, overall, I really DO recommend cameras to be put in ALL SHOPS. The footage has really been valuable in the past, however if you can step up the resolution and actually get video I recommend it. Since I have to go through my IT it's a bit awkward, but that's just my personal situation, not a fault of the system itself. 

Cameras, you need them!


Eric Pulse

Mustang '60 Machine Shop Manager

ME Department/ College of Engineering

Cal Poly SLO

805-756-5634 - Office

805-756-1137 - Fax

shops.calpoly.edu


From: main@myssmc.groups.io <main@myssmc.groups.io> on behalf of Brandon Iglesias via Groups.Io <brandon.iglesias@...>
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2019 7:49 AM
To: main@myssmc.groups.io <main@myssmc.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [myssmc] IP Camera Vendors/Recommendations #safety #staff #equipment #management
 
camera's are pointed at many people on campus with filming, I think it is a security dept moat/scope of their job at times. In other words, other departments adding security cameras encroaches on their turf as well as legal reasons on top of that.   in industry there is a big debate now on wifi ip cameras reporting to IT directors vs. Security directors, fyi.

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 9:45 AM Josh Jordan <jcj2134@...> wrote:
This is probably an institution-specific question... but does anyone know if the issues surrounding camera monitoring of shop spaces pertains specifically to *recording* or if it is ANY monitoring, even live?

I've heard of other institutions who broadcast live cameras on the lasers so students in studio can see when they are open for use...   at Columbia have small webcams on our 3D printers so we can see and remotely stop failures from afar (which may incidentally "catch" students walking through the background)...  or for those who have shops that are spread across several smaller spaces, I've heard of IP cameras in separate or locked spaces that one can access remotely to see what's going on.  None of these require or involve recording or storage of recorded data.

Has anyone experienced any institutional gray area or is it generally a "don't point cameras at students" issue?

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 10:37 AM Peter Zimmermann <zimme049@...> wrote:
Jack Hunter wrote:
> Thanks to a great discussion at the conference in New Haven, we're considering IP cameras as an after-hours oversight measure.
>
> Don't want to use the campus security system.
>
> Does anyone have vendor recommendations for installation/camera monitoring, etc? Experience in higher education is preferred--I'm sure there will be lots of hoop-jumping.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jack
>
>
>
>
I know some do, but our University does not allow video taping of students.
Peter

--
Peter Zimmermann
Student Machine Shop  ME 176
University of Minnesota
Department of Mechanical Engineering
111 Church Street SE, Mpls, MN 55455
612.625.7855 Direct
zimme049@...
http://www.me.umn.edu/intranet/studentshop.shtml






--


Josh Jordan
Making Studio
Director
646-618-0802
                                 

--
Josh Jordan
Director, Making Studio
Columbia GSAPP



--

Respectfully,

Brandon Iglesias


Make it Smart, Keep it Safe.

Safety Spot Inc.
525 S. Hewitt Street
Los Angeles, CA 90013 USA

+01 (213) 279-2772 office
+01 (504) 495-5998 cell
+01 (213) 599-8484 fax

brandon.iglesias@...
www.safetyspot.com

This e-mail contains confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.


Patrick Karnia
 

I also have Axis cameras, although mine are configured to save video.

I primarily use them as CCTV on monitors in my office, although I do have control over the recordings as well should I ever need them. They are only accessible on campus or via VPN by myself and 2-3 other trusted individuals.

With our university I was allowed by general counsel and public safety to regain full control over our cameras and recordings as long as we stay consistent with the camera recording standards on campus (minimum 720p 15fps video saved for at least 4 weeks).

Patrick Karnia
Idea Shop Lab Manager
Illinois Institute of Technology
(312) 567-3095 Lab
(312) 567-3387 Office


On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 11:12 AM Eric Pulse <epulse@...> wrote:
We use the Axis Brand of web cameras. They record pictures rather than video and it keeps for a week. I personally don't have access to the recordings, but our department IT people do. Here is the brand website

We have web cameras in all of our department labs and both Machine Shops. The Labs were basically to allow students to see if there was a class going on or not. The Shop cameras are for students to see if we are open and also for records and student accountability. People tend to behave better if they think they are being recorded, go figure.

Now a word of warning (ie horror story), which I have mentioned in the past at the SSMC. Our cameras used to be fully public accessible. When i was a student in the early 2000's we could actually manipulate the Hangar Shop camera on a gimble from the webpage. Unfortunately, when we put 6 cameras in both shops, they were found by the lurkers on the interwebs.  At one point I had some Russian guy email me ans ask to move the office camera away form my desk and towards the rest of the room. This was quite confusing until the next day I was contacted by a young woman in Russia who apologized for the intrusion and told me that there was a whole VK.com (Russian Facebook) page dedicated to screen shots of our cameras, complete with made up stories about all of our commonly appearing people. They even photoshopped my head on a picture of Jesus. That was funny, but a lot of the comments made about my employees were not. 

Needless to say, I asked her to take the page down and she did. Then nothing happened for about a year and then we started getting calls asking to talk to "the blonde in the red sweater" etc. Yeah, I really wasn't comfortable with that (neither was Corinne, who happened to be in the red sweater at that time). So we made the cameras only accessible from ON-CAMPUS SERVERS. Students can view them while logged in to our campus Wifi but not off campus. This created a slight hindrance for me to be able to see them at home, but I can VPN in and see them. I am told that Axis also has an app that i can use but I haven't explored that yet. 

Anyway, overall, I really DO recommend cameras to be put in ALL SHOPS. The footage has really been valuable in the past, however if you can step up the resolution and actually get video I recommend it. Since I have to go through my IT it's a bit awkward, but that's just my personal situation, not a fault of the system itself. 

Cameras, you need them!


Eric Pulse

Mustang '60 Machine Shop Manager

ME Department/ College of Engineering

Cal Poly SLO

805-756-5634 - Office

805-756-1137 - Fax

shops.calpoly.edu


From: main@myssmc.groups.io <main@myssmc.groups.io> on behalf of Brandon Iglesias via Groups.Io <brandon.iglesias=safetyspot.com@groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2019 7:49 AM
To: main@myssmc.groups.io <main@myssmc.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [myssmc] IP Camera Vendors/Recommendations #safety #staff #equipment #management
 
camera's are pointed at many people on campus with filming, I think it is a security dept moat/scope of their job at times. In other words, other departments adding security cameras encroaches on their turf as well as legal reasons on top of that.   in industry there is a big debate now on wifi ip cameras reporting to IT directors vs. Security directors, fyi.

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 9:45 AM Josh Jordan <jcj2134@...> wrote:
This is probably an institution-specific question... but does anyone know if the issues surrounding camera monitoring of shop spaces pertains specifically to *recording* or if it is ANY monitoring, even live?

I've heard of other institutions who broadcast live cameras on the lasers so students in studio can see when they are open for use...   at Columbia have small webcams on our 3D printers so we can see and remotely stop failures from afar (which may incidentally "catch" students walking through the background)...  or for those who have shops that are spread across several smaller spaces, I've heard of IP cameras in separate or locked spaces that one can access remotely to see what's going on.  None of these require or involve recording or storage of recorded data.

Has anyone experienced any institutional gray area or is it generally a "don't point cameras at students" issue?

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 10:37 AM Peter Zimmermann <zimme049@...> wrote:
Jack Hunter wrote:
> Thanks to a great discussion at the conference in New Haven, we're considering IP cameras as an after-hours oversight measure.
>
> Don't want to use the campus security system.
>
> Does anyone have vendor recommendations for installation/camera monitoring, etc? Experience in higher education is preferred--I'm sure there will be lots of hoop-jumping.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jack
>
>
>
>
I know some do, but our University does not allow video taping of students.
Peter

--
Peter Zimmermann
Student Machine Shop  ME 176
University of Minnesota
Department of Mechanical Engineering
111 Church Street SE, Mpls, MN 55455
612.625.7855 Direct
zimme049@...
http://www.me.umn.edu/intranet/studentshop.shtml






--


Josh Jordan
Making Studio
Director
646-618-0802
                                 

--
Josh Jordan
Director, Making Studio
Columbia GSAPP



--

Respectfully,

Brandon Iglesias


Make it Smart, Keep it Safe.

Safety Spot Inc.
525 S. Hewitt Street
Los Angeles, CA 90013 USA

+01 (213) 279-2772 office
+01 (504) 495-5998 cell
+01 (213) 599-8484 fax

brandon.iglesias@...
www.safetyspot.com

This e-mail contains confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.