From: main@myssmc.groups.io <main@myssmc.groups.io> on behalf of Stan Johnson via groups.io <stan.johnson59@...>
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2021 7:36 PM
To: main@myssmc.groups.io <main@myssmc.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [External] Re: [Ext] [myssmc] #airfiltration #equipment #labsafety

Hi Charles,

I really appreciate your, and everyone else's input on this. A lot of good information. I like the looks of the OmniAir unit a lot. I was wondering how fast filters would clog on their unit and if you did any filtering before the unit? The snorkel and plastic cover for the mixer sound great. Is it available somewhere or constructed in house?

Thanks, Stan

On 1/14/2021 3:37 PM, Charles Allhands wrote:
Hi Stan,
Like others mentioned, we've focused on source control. We have an OmniAire 2200C with a snorkel attached to it that we put near anything making dust. Before turning on the cement mixer we have an elastic corded plastic cover that goes over the drum opening. For the power tools we use on concrete samples we follow OSHA 29 CFR 1926.1153 (https://www.osha.gov/silica/SilicaConstructionRegText.pdf) and use an OSHA compliant HEPA vacuum. I haven't tried to deal with the foot prints out of the room yet but I'm considering putting down some of the disposable sticky floor mats used in clean rooms, lead abatement projects, etc.

-Charles

Charles Allhands
Civil Engineering Lab Manager
School of Engineering