Re: [External] Re: [Ext] [myssmc] #airfiltration #equipment #labsafety

Charles Allhands

Stan,
The OmniAire was purchased by my predecessor shortly before I started. It's seen light use over the last year and we have yet to change the filters. The machine has prefilters that can be purchased which are cheaper than the HEPA filter and prolong its life. We'll be doing significant cement research this summer, so I'll have a better idea in the fall of how long the filters last.

There are disposable cement mixer covers online (I've seen some on Grainer); we just bought an RV tire cover though which has worked well and is only slightly more expensive than the disposable covers (specifically, we're using this one: https://classicaccessories.com/over-drive-universal-fit-spare-tire-rv-cover-wheels-26-28-diameter-black).

I think OmniAire sells snorkel tubing, I bought some clear spiral tubing and a steel ring off McMaster instead which has worked well. We've been clamping it where we need it for now but have plans to make a stand for the snorkel in the future.

-Charles

Charles Allhands
Civil Engineering Lab Manager
School of Engineering
University of St. Thomas | stthomas.edu

From: main@myssmc.groups.io <main@myssmc.groups.io> on behalf of Stan Johnson via groups.io <stan.johnson59@...>
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2021 7:36 PM
To: main@myssmc.groups.io <main@myssmc.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [External] Re: [Ext] [myssmc] #airfiltration #equipment #labsafety

Hi Charles,

I really appreciate your, and everyone else's input on this. A lot of good information. I like the looks of the OmniAir unit a lot. I was wondering how fast filters would clog on their unit and if you did any filtering before the unit? The snorkel and plastic cover for the mixer sound great. Is it available somewhere or constructed in house?

Thanks, Stan

On 1/14/2021 3:37 PM, Charles Allhands wrote:
Hi Stan,
Like others mentioned, we've focused on source control. We have an OmniAire 2200C with a snorkel attached to it that we put near anything making dust. Before turning on the cement mixer we have an elastic corded plastic cover that goes over the drum opening. For the power tools we use on concrete samples we follow OSHA 29 CFR 1926.1153 (https://www.osha.gov/silica/SilicaConstructionRegText.pdf) and use an OSHA compliant HEPA vacuum. I haven't tried to deal with the foot prints out of the room yet but I'm considering putting down some of the disposable sticky floor mats used in clean rooms, lead abatement projects, etc.

-Charles

Charles Allhands
Civil Engineering Lab Manager
School of Engineering
University of St. Thomas�|�stthomas.edu

From: main@myssmc.groups.io <main@myssmc.groups.io> on behalf of Allan Sutley via groups.io <ads131@...>
Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2021 3:19 PM
To: main@myssmc.groups.io <main@myssmc.groups.io>
Subject: [External] Re: [Ext] [myssmc] #airfiltration #equipment #labsafety
�
One thing that will help is to hold a large piece of 1/4" plywood or similar material tight over the opening of the mixer until the concrete is hydrated. The less dust leaving the mixer the better. Also as has already been said, avoid pouring the dry concrete into the mixer.

Allan

Allan Sutley

Shop Supervisor

Stuckeman Shop

Penn State University

814-865-2641

From: main@myssmc.groups.io <main@myssmc.groups.io> on behalf of Bill Bergman via groups.io <bergmw@...>
Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2021 3:50 PM
To: 'main@myssmc.groups.io' <main@myssmc.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Ext] [myssmc] #airfiltration #equipment #labsafety
�

Hi Stan,

�

I�ve been waiting to get a Pulsbac vacuum from Pulsbac.com.� It is a similar system to what the Zcorp or 3DS 450 has for filtering powder.� Almost eliminates filter changes.� I would look into one of those, but they do have a hefty price tag.

�

Cheers,

Bill

�

Bill Bergman

Rensselaer School of Architecture

ArchShop Manager

P:518.276.6870

�

From: main@myssmc.groups.io <main@myssmc.groups.io> On Behalf Of Stan Johnson via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2021 3:30 PM
To: main@myssmc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Ext] [myssmc] #airfiltration #equipment #labsafety

�

Thanks Michael. I agree that capturing it at the source seems better than trying to deal with it after it spreads into the room. You have a central dust collection system, which I wish we had, but don't. I am doubtful that we can get permission to exhaust to the outside, so we have been looking at filtering systems. The problem there is that it looks like we might be going through a lot of expensive filters.

Stan

On 1/14/2021 2:09 PM, Michael Gillhouse via groups.io wrote:

Stan,

�

We just have students use a vacuum�hose or dust collection hose coming off the main system over the mixer while we pour. Humidifiers and/or spray bottles can mitigate�small batch problems but sucking up the dust as it is produced seems to work best. Pulling the bag off the cement instead of pouring it produces less dust too.

�

mg

iit

coa

�

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 2:04 PM Stan Johnson via groups.io <stan.johnson59=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello all,
We are planning to do quite a bit of work with concrete and are concerned about the dust. Our lab is about 1400 square feet, but in the past, the dust has spilled out into a lot of the rest of the building which has made quite a few people unhappy. Most of the dust will be created by a portable mixer that will move to different locations in the lab. I was wondering if others had come up with solutions to similar dust problems, whether concrete, plaster, or like materials?

Join main@myssmc.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.