Re: [Ext] [myssmc] #airfiltration #equipment #labsafety

John Kriershauser

Sometimes we have successfully performed similar dirty processes in our spray booth.  Given that you will be moving about, maybe you could do something similar with a tent structure.

JK
IIT

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 2:30 PM Stan Johnson via groups.io <ojohnson=iit.edu@groups.io> wrote:

Thanks Michael. I agree that capturing it at the source seems better than trying to deal with it after it spreads into the room. You have a central dust collection system, which I wish we had, but don't. I am doubtful that we can get permission to exhaust to the outside, so we have been looking at filtering systems. The problem there is that it looks like we might be going through a lot of expensive filters.

Stan

On 1/14/2021 2:09 PM, Michael Gillhouse via groups.io wrote:
Stan,

We just have students use a vacuum hose or dust collection hose coming off the main system over the mixer while we pour. Humidifiers and/or spray bottles can mitigate small batch problems but sucking up the dust as it is produced seems to work best. Pulling the bag off the cement instead of pouring it produces less dust too.

mg
iit
coa

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 2:04 PM Stan Johnson via groups.io <stan.johnson59=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello all,
We are planning to do quite a bit of work with concrete and are concerned about the dust. Our lab is about 1400 square feet, but in the past, the dust has spilled out into a lot of the rest of the building which has made quite a few people unhappy. Most of the dust will be created by a portable mixer that will move to different locations in the lab. I was wondering if others had come up with solutions to similar dust problems, whether concrete, plaster, or like materials?

--
John Kriegshauser
Architecture Workshop Director

Join main@myssmc.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.