I am by no means an expert, but I think OSHA has requirements on this. I think you need to create negative pressure in the room so no dust gets out--by having a strong fan blowing to the outdoors.
   On the other hand, I was at Walmart late at night five years back and they were leveling an old concrete floor using some sort of spinning scaping machine. They just had that section roped off. So I guess they weren't worried!
Ben

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 3:37 PM Charles Allhands <charles.allhands@...> wrote:
Hi Stan,
Like others mentioned, we've focused on source control. We have an OmniAire 2200C with a snorkel attached to it that we put near anything making dust. Before turning on the cement mixer we have an elastic corded plastic cover that goes over the drum opening. For the power tools we use on concrete samples we follow OSHA 29 CFR 1926.1153 (https://www.osha.gov/silica/SilicaConstructionRegText.pdf) and use an OSHA compliant HEPA vacuum. I haven't tried to deal with the foot prints out of the room yet but I'm considering putting down some of the disposable sticky floor mats used in clean rooms, lead abatement projects, etc.

-Charles

Charles Allhands
Civil Engineering Lab Manager
School of Engineering
University of St. Thomas | stthomas.edu

From: main@myssmc.groups.io <main@myssmc.groups.io> on behalf of Allan Sutley via groups.io <ads131=psu.edu@groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2021 3:19 PM
To: main@myssmc.groups.io <main@myssmc.groups.io>
Subject: [External] Re: [Ext] [myssmc] #airfiltration #equipment #labsafety

One thing that will help is to hold a large piece of 1/4" plywood or similar material tight over the opening of the mixer until the concrete is hydrated. The less dust leaving the mixer the better. Also as has already been said, avoid pouring the dry concrete into the mixer.

Allan

Allan Sutley

Shop Supervisor

Stuckeman Shop